It’s no news today what Formal Education connotes but for the purpose of this article it’s necessary to define the term.
FORMAL EDUCATION : This refer to an intentional pattern of study or training delivered in a systematic order within a legal body to group of persons by personnel who’s expected to have gone through such trainings themselves and have aced in their various discipline. This set of persons are called scholars.
So, Why the fuss about Formal Education?
In some parts of the world today. Yes, even in this 21st century some developing countries do not see the need for formal education and at such many of their citizens are not formally educated. In such areas, life practically goes on with basic necessities of life like food(farming), nomads, blacksmithing, hand crafts, petty trading and the likes, as long as their immediate needs are met.
Children, youths and adults rarely communicate with any language other than their mother tongue and have great inability to deal with strangers or non-citizens who may not understand their mother tongue, hence the need for basic formal education. Also, children and adults are totally behind civilization and technology advancement and could be likened to living in the third world, this poses a great threat to their survival outside their usual environment and they certainly do not have any such idea since they are ignorant of the inherent dangers.
So Why Formal Education You Ask:
You will agree with me, inspite the fact that in most developing countries compared to our developed counterparts. Most graduates remain jobless and fall back to whatever their hands find to do, just to make a living long shoved their certificates in some box or pile of things. You will also accede that formal education in most developing countries have been highly watered-down. By that it means, the formal education in a country like Nigeria is far behind in terms of quality if compared to those in first world countries and at such most graduates produced from this system still struggle between their teeth to stand out or at least level up with their fellow counterparts outside the shores of their country.
This few point alone is enough reason to discourage an average person from towing the part of formal education and it has. Many youths now feel they could do much more with 4-5 years of their life than waste it in an educational environment paying huge amounts of tuition fees that does not work at the end and still has a way of reducing you to a pauper afterwards.
Is That Entirely True?
The answer is a big-fat bold “NO”, It isn’t. There are more benefits in enrolling in a formal education system than it seems. The advantages summounts the disadvantages, let’s look at a few.
1. Formal Education sharpens our thought: It has an ability to tell us what is relevant to think and also the best way to think those thoughts, through some techniques that enables us to yield maximum results when applied.
2. Learn effective theories that guides Real-life applications: By this, formal education provides and equips one with theories, tested and proven to be effective in many. So as to guide us in choosing or applying these theories to a real-life situation we may experience and see effective if not same or more positive results.
3. Build Networks: Formal Education is the building block of networks. Both businesses and social relationships across races and religions. Since everyone in this category understands the same language of formal education.
4. Produces effective and profitable entrepreneurship: Formally educated entrepreneurs do better than their uneducated counterparts in varying degrees. They can easily identify and opportunity and a market as well as what products essentially necessary for that available market and sort out the dynamics that will enhance high-profit actualization from such market. Whereas an uneducated entrepreneur may hardly identify such and may eventually rallying from one customer to another pleading for patronage.
5. Identify Talents and skills as well as polish them: Formal Education aids most in easy identification of their natural abilities especially when put or categorized into groups by the tutors to accomplish a certain task within a stipulated time frame. Individuals begin to get deeper insight on what they can do better and faster compared to other colleagues. This otherwise improve self confidence and stimulates high intellects especially within competitions.
What now, Formal Education still savoury in this Age?
Formal Education still very savoury in this Age. It does not go out of fashion. Rather, most learning institutions are supposed to make significant changes and updates to their school curriculum to accommodate, solve and tackle present day problems.
So, the next time you have an opportunity to talk about or choose between formal education and skill acquisition or anything of interest, make a clear definition of your goals, choose any in line with your dreams. Both are certainly effective depending on what one’s dreams are. How does that sound?